Now I am sure most of you have heard my story that over the last 20 years I have bought 10 properties and used 8 mortgage brokers to get me those loans?
If you do some rough sums on the upfront and trail commissions you’d be sitting on as my first broker, you’d calculate a six figure upfront commission experience and a trail income that is more than the average Aussie wage.
Not only have I used brokers for my own finance, I have referred hundreds of clients to brokers (when I was a real estate agent) – including my friends and family.
If you add that up we are now talking about a seven figure commission and trail experience!
So even though I enjoyed meeting and gaining finance from all of the brokers I used and referred clients to, only 2 of them ever stayed in touch with me.
One of them, I purchased this business from, and the other I sold our marketing program so she would stay in touch with me (or her other clients at least).
So if someone like me – who started out as a high school teacher in Adelaide – can end up buying 10 properties (after a few career and location changes) and referring hundreds of people to brokers, then how many people are in YOUR loan book who have lost your details and have gone back to the bank or moved on to other brokers?
My guess is perhaps a few?
So what could John, my first broker, (or any of the others) have done to keep my business and get all of my referrals?
1. At our first appointment make sure I have added his mobile phone number into my phone. (Yes, we did have mobiles back then!)
2. Asked me at our first meeting what my future plans were… and that was to keep buying properties as often as I could afford to, so I would have a financially secure future. Then…
3. Call me once a year for a review chat OR just a call to see how my plans are going.
4. Keep me updated on investment opportunities or educate me on how to invest, pay down my mortgage, use my equity or many other useful tips for getting ahead.
5. Introduce me to a great accountant (it took me nearly 20 years to find one of those) who understood property investment, structuring and tax minimisation.
6. Make sure I had adequate insurance to cover my debt in the event of illness or injury.
But… essentially all he had to do was stay in touch and be top of mind when events and circumstances changed in my life. Sounds easy doesn’t it?
Well you know what? It’s not as easy as it sounds. I now understand that.
Being a broker these days is such an all-consuming job with enormous amounts of administration, regulation, changes and updates that it is really, really hard to also stay on top of your education and contact with your clients.
That’s why most brokers outsource their marketing and client communication.
Now if you were to consider outsourcing this component of your business, then who can you trust to understand what your clients need to know such as:
• what events are happening in your clients lives that will trigger them to call you, and
• how to get referrals from all your clients?
Being a smart business owner/operator, you would expect to only trust a team of people:
• from all age brackets and demographics
• who have used banks and brokers
• who have events happening in their lives every single day that require finance solutions
• who understand what it takes to be a broker and how hard it is to do everything yourself, and
• are trained in the art of exceptional customer service
• Who work for the best marketing company in Australia specialising in marketing and client communication for the finance industry?
We are hoping the decision is quite clear.
If you are:
• concerned about not staying in touch with your clients and referral partners, or
• have a poor or a less professional communication program than your business and your clients deserve
If you are:
• time poor
• customer centric
• needing better results and engagement from your efforts
then it would be a great idea for us to have a chat.
We understand what you need, because we ARE YOUR CLIENTS.
Call for your FREE client marketing health check today on 1300 926 000. We will give you an honest appraisal of your marketing and lead you in the right direction for effective improvements for your clients and your business.
After all, doesn’t YOUR CLIENT deserve the best?
Looking forward to hearing from you…
Deena and YOUR YCM MARKETING TEAM